[Melbourne-pm] Melb PT/Casual Junior Linux Sys Admin, $33k-50k

Geoff Crompton geoff.crompton at strategicdata.com.au
Sun Sep 23 18:41:52 PDT 2007

We are looking for a Linux enthusiast to expand our system
administration team. We already have a full time System Administrator,
and a full time Windows Support staff member. The role will provide a
variety of opportunities to work supporting our infrastructure, and
clients infrastructure, as well as participating in the planning and
deployment of new infrastructure for a variety of projects. We have a
mostly Debian based infrastructure supporting our office needs, and also
supporting our hosting environment. Our infrastructure includes doses of
slapd, postfix, mysql, postgresql, shorewall, apache, zimbra, backuppc,
request tracker, twiki, subversion, samba, windows PCs, nagios, and more.

You'll be helping us by following (and helping to develop) our policies,
change management practices, and system testing practices. Ideally most
work for clients will be via telecommuting, though client site visits in
the Melbourne area will be required.

Strategic Data provides services in all parts of the data collection,
capture, processing, management and analysis process. Our clients tend
to work in research related fields and are from the corporate, academic,
ngo and government sectors.

Through our subsidiary, IT Strategic, we also provide IT support and
systems administration for small to medium sized businesses.

We are an innovative company based in Carlton (soon moving to Fitzroy)
with a friendly environment and commitment to staff development. We have
an Open Source focus, though not an Open Source blind spot, and support
the local OSS community through participation and sponsorship. We are a
small company, with currently about 20 employees.

We are looking for a candidate who:

    * Is comfortable working on the command line of a linux system.
    * Has a reasonable understanding of how the Internet works.
    * Is happy to work on their own, but realises when they need to ask
for help
    * Is a good problem solver
    * Is confident communicating both verbally and in writing
    * Has some experience using scripting for system administration

Any of the following will also be considered favourably:

    * A preference for Debian or Ubuntu.
    * The use of Perl as an administrative tool.
    * Exposure to Windows Server environments (you don't have to like them)
    * Familiarity with Tom Limoncelli's books
    * SAGE-AU membership
    * Experience on a helpdesk
    * Previous employment in IT
    * Tertiary qualifications in Computer Science, or a relevant
Engineering degree
    * Participation in an Open Source project

Hours / Employment Arrangement
We would be happy to consider a variety of arrangements for this support
role, ranging from a casual ~2 days per week through to a part time 3 to
3.5 days a week depending on the applicant's breadth of skills and
experience. There is a reasonable opportunity to increase this role to a
full time position in the future if such an arrangement is mutually
agreeable.

Pay range: $33k - $50k p.a. depending on experience.

For Further Information, please feel free to call Geoff Crompton (Sys
Admin) on +613 9340 9000

Applications:
Apply send your plain text or PDF resume and application letter
addressing the above points to jobs at strategicdata.com.au.

--
Geoff Crompton
Debian System Administrator