[Melbourne-pm] Floating an idea for 'summer switch camp'

Alec Clews alecclews at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 18:59:37 PDT 2007

This is not something I would be interested in, however I hope I can make
some useful comments:

* Great 'out of the box thinking'. I think it's a really cool idea.
* I would hope that an experienced programmer could pick up basic Perl in
less than 10 days of full on training (but see my comments below)
* I suspect that the sponsors would be happier putting money down if they
were candidates they could employ (except for the lack of Perl skills). I.e.
There was contractual commitment on both sides for work at end of the course
(I've called this a working sponsorship below)
* OR there should be some element of self sponsorship to show the candidates
have some 'skin in the game'
* I suspect there is also a market for contractors who would like to self
sponsor and switch to Perl.

I would suggest that the format is changed to be

A) A shorter introductory course (5 days?) that gets them up and running. At
this point they would should be able to handle basic maintenance tasks and
know enough to self study to the next level. At this point they take on a
trainee programming type role and tasks for a few weeks
B) A follow up mentoring  and part time study curriculum in the students own
time -- skin in the game again. This could have some generic material (e.g.
Advanced OO Programming) and some employer specific tracks (e.g. Template
programming with Mason). As this will be self study with some support via
email, IM etc then it can also accommodate interstate candidates.

The reason for suggesting this is format is three fold:

1) Reduces sponsors costs
2) It self selects candidates (if they are not committed to the self study
course they are less likely to commit in the 1st place)
3) It offers the most flexible curriculum.

And additional question?

* Would there be any interest (or money available) in offering bursaries to
recent graduates or unemployed programmers (e.g. home makers wanting to
return to the workforce)? These folks are less likely to be able to self
sponsor or attract a working sponsorship.
* Is this something that we get an external organisation to deliver or does
PM roll their own material and delivery? Apart from Perl Training Australia
are there any other organisations we could approach?

Possible Next Steps?

1) Agree a proposed training format/content and costs
2) Identify as large a list of Aus Perl shops
3) See if there is any management buy in from the management if Aus Perl
shop
4) Review the process and decide on next steps