[Melbourne-pm] Don't get off a winning horse [was: Re: NEW VENUE! Meeting next week 14th November]

Tony Smith ts at meme.com.au
Tue Nov 13 20:57:40 PST 2007

I'm the last one to try to understate the roles of Scott, Jacinta and
Paul in reviving and sustaining Melbourne PM. The record (non Damian)
numbers on recent second Wednesdays underline the success of those
efforts.

So we are now in a position strong enough to (I hope and expect)
survive a change of venue. But that only underlines that this is not
the right time to even contemplate a change of date from that on
which increasing numbers have shown themselves willing to join us.

There was once a fledgling MySQL Meetup that clashed on second
Wednesdays. I got to their April(?) 2006 meeting because we time
shifted Melbourne PM for that month only and may have encouraged them
to try a change to third Wednesday which effectively killed the group
for more than a year until Tristan quite recently took it on himself
to revive it, so far successfully.

There will always be clashes no matter which date we chose. I have a
long standing second Tuesday commitment which prevents me going to
something else, but that's just how it is. A date change might be
worth a thought for a struggling group, but definitely not for a
thriving one in the middle of a venue change.