[Melbourne-pm] Recruiters are people too. Was MPM Meeting Wedn...

leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au
Wed May 9 17:36:54 PDT 2007

Being the one who started this thread, I actually regret doing so.

Recruiters for Perl positions are a part of the Perl ecosystem, and Perl
Mongers (and Melbourne Perl Mongers expecially) welcome anyone with any
interest in Per whatsoever. A recruiter coming to a meeting should raise
no more eyebrows than a lawyer backgrounding a case, a venture
capitalist wanting to know more about a potential investment or a
journalist researching a article. The number of non-developers who I've
met at MPM meetings measure in the single digits, but that shouldn't
matter at all.

Unfortunately, most recruiters I've met have done themselves no favours
in the "personal skills" department, and many developers rank them with
real estate agents and car sales men. My posting was my defensive
reaction to someone I preceive as "non-genuine" becoming involved in
something driven by evangelism and passion.

And so, to my detriment, I have treated Chris with prejudice, and given
him no opportunity to present himself on his own terms and with his own
qualities. I have done myself no favours, being judgemental and
dismissive.

Hopefully I wont do that again. So if anyone else in the recruitment
industry is reading this, please feel welcome - we are, after all , a
rich lode of exactly the kind of resource need you service.

Leif
IMPORTANT
The contents of this e-mail and its attachments are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If
you received this e-mail in error, please notify the HPA Postmaster, postmaster at hpa.com.au,
then delete  the e-mail.
This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses by Ironport. Before opening or using any
attachments, check them for viruses and defects.
Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.
HPA collects personal information to provide and market our services. For more
information about use, disclosure and access see our Privacy Policy at
www.hpa.com.au