[Melbourne-pm] Perl tip ideas

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Mar 20 10:37:12 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> Perl Training Australia has been writing Perl Tips on an infrequent basis
> for some time now.  You can find many of these at:
>
> 	http://www.perltraining.com.au/tips/
>
> What I'm asking of you is what kind of tips you'd like to see in the
> future. Suggestions can be specific, or vague.  You can say that you'd like
> to see coverage of a certain module, or suggestions for solving a kind of
> problem you run into often, or are running into now.  If you ever wanted to
> learn more about some aspect of Perl, now might be your opportunity.
>
> If you post these ideas to this list, you may even get someone volunteering
> to give a talk on one of them!
>
> Thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head, I have the following tips:

1. Displaying the test results in color - using Test::Run, not some
Test::Harness/Test::Harness::Straps hackery. See:

http://freshmeat.net/screenshots/63811/68853/

For a screenshot.

It will basically be a rehash of:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Task-Test-Run-AllPlugins/lib/Task/Test/Run/AllPlugins.pm

but possibly with some information on how to customise the colours to your
liking (which is possible with setting environment variables).

I can also cover integrating it into the build system (i.e: being able to
run "{./Build,make} {runtest,distruntest}" and get them processed by
Test::Run.).

Caveat Emptor: I'm the main Test::Run developer.

2. How to generate ctags file for a hieararchy of Perl modules. I've ripped
and tweaked a "ctags" snippet I found in the Test::Harness Makefile.PL, and
can write a small tip about it.

I'd like my tips to be Public Domain (under the Creative Commons deed), and
that they'll include attribution and a link to my homesite. But this is
negotiatble. Do I get anything in return for writing a tip besides some fame
and a feeling of gratification? Even a T-shirt would be nice, and that's what
one gets for writing a Freshmeat.net editorial.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il