[Melbourne-pm] Command line argument processing with validation

Wesley Moore wjmoore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 00:16:07 PDT 2007

Thanks for the suggestions.

Damian, I've checked out Getopt::Euclid and for the most part it does
exactly what we want with two exceptions, one we can work around and
one we can't.

Firstly I want to confirm that its not possible to supply alternate
names for the same argument that do have the same prefix, for example
we use d|data_data and y|dict_root with Getopt::Long. This one can be
worked around though.

The second is it exits with zero status even when the arg list is bad.
This is a problem because we run under an automated scheduler that
needs to halt processing if anything fails and in this case it would
not be able to detect the failure. A colleague noticed this is marked
as fixed in next release in bug #26206[1], any ETA on that release?

Many thanks,
Wes

[1] http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=26206