[Melbourne-pm] Desktop environments

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon Feb 12 21:32:28 PST 2007

Kirrily Robert wrote:

> I have hypothesized that most Perl development shops use Linux desktops or
> offer the developers a choice, but I'm wondering how correct that is.

For our general enrolment courses we tend to have about 50% of people saying
they expect to develop Perl under Windows.  These use the Perl install on the
desktop.  The rest ssh into our Linux machine.  I can't say what kind of Unix
system the rest are used to using, as we merely differentiate between Windows
and Unix-like.  Mac users bring their own machines ;) -- actually I suspect they
just pick Win or Linux as they desire.

We also don't ask what kind of end-machine they expect their code to run on.
But about half expect to _develop_ on some Microsoft operating system.

All the best,

	Jacinta