[Melbourne-pm] CPAN module

Mathew Robertson mathew.robertson at netratings.com.au
Wed Mar 15 00:20:00 PST 2006

> Just thought of yet another better way of explainig it.
>
> In Debian - which is a package management system like CPAN, your package depends on another package, maybe with a minimum version number, but as a package name.
>
> You can write your own packages, download them manually, and manually install them - but there is no way for the package management system to do that - it is always going to install a package by its identifier - in this case name.
>
> To get around this a special release of a package will often be required - eg: with some special patches, maybe a newer version, maybe just because it had to be built differently (eg: with different threading model).
>
> In every case - it is given a new name.

No its not - Debian allows you to point your apt repository to servers
other than the Sid/Sarge/Horny-carrot mirrors -> you can point it at
your own local mirror, then inject your own package with exactly same
name/namespace as any existing package.

Debian can do it. RPM can do it. I'm asking if CPAN can do it.
Mathew