[Melbourne-pm] CPAN module

Mathew Robertson mathew.robertson at netratings.com.au
Wed Mar 15 00:16:45 PST 2006

>> That's a good idea, but I don't know if the powers-that-be at CPAN will
>> allow it.
>>
>> I don't know your code, but do you just add functions, or are you
>> changing functions in H::T ?
>>
>> What I am driving at is you release your extension with "use base
>> qw(HTML::Template);" - so your package is only your extensions,
>> everything else falls back to "default" H::T
>>
>> Can you separate your work cleanly from the default H::T ?
>>
> I guess my main concern here Mathew is that you are trying to invent new rules just for you. Work within the system. If you want to change the system, by all means, get on the CPAN team and change it, but try and work within it.
>
> * For CPAN - this means a new name - or something more dodgy
> * For PERL Modules - this means exactly the same as it does for every other open source projet, including Linux
>
> Use one of the above - either fit in with CPAN or Source Code
>
> The two reasons for this are:
>
> * It won't confuse the users
> * You won't annoy anyone who owns the module or CPAN maintainers

I'm not trying to change CPAN - I simply asked "is it possible with
CPAN" - dont shoot me...  And since I am already making the code freely
available via  a tarball, there is no reason to have a go at me about. it.

All I asked was "was there a way to use the default Perl tools (aka
CPAN) to distribute a developer branch - thus re-using the whole CPAN
infrastructure, thus making it trivial for users to simply use a drop-in
replacement, by changing only a single environmental variable".

Mathew