[Melbourne-pm] CPAN module

Geoff Crompton geoff.crompton at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Mar 8 23:51:45 PST 2006

Scott Penrose wrote:
> Just thought of yet another better way of explainig it.
>
> In Debian - which is a package management system like CPAN, your package depends on another package, maybe with a minimum version number, but as a package name.
>
> You can write your own packages, download them manually, and manually install them - but there is no way for the package management system to do that - it is always going to install a package by its identifier - in this case name.
>
> To get around this a special release of a package will often be required - eg: with some special patches, maybe a newer version, maybe just because it had to be built differently (eg: with different threading model).
>
> In every case - it is given a new name.
>
> Scott

Unless you organise your own repository. In which case, anyone that
wants to use it must configure their system to use your repository. (And
some other stuff about version numbers and pinning)

I guess the CPAN parallel is that you have to run your own CPAN if you
wish to keep the same name.

--
Geoff Crompton
Debian System Administrator