[Melbourne-pm] Lint

Simon Taylor simon at unisolve.com.au
Thu Jun 29 20:51:10 PDT 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:41 pm, Mathew Robertson wrote:
> > ... i.e. where scripts and programs can identify bad logic or
> > poor use of syntax that is likely to lead to errors (simplest example is
> > the use of '=' for floating point numbers -- see Sakai URLs below for
> > more examples).
>
> Care to elaborate - what is wrong with floating point numbers?

I believe he means suspect code that attempts to check the *equality* of
floating point numbers, where the internal representation of those
numbers may mean that they are functionality equivalent, but
actually different values when compared with a bare '='

See the section Floating-point Arithmetic in perldoc perlop

- Simon

--
Unisolve Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
+61 3 9568 2005