[Melbourne-pm] Document Management System

Jens Porup jens at porup.com
Mon Jan 30 17:42:58 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:01:33AM +1100, Scott Penrose wrote:
> Hey Guys
>
> I have been asked to put together a simple document management system
> (not a CMS !) on a web site. Simple stuff really.
>
> Does anyone know of any open source, preferably perl, document
> management systems?

I know of one, mostly cuz it's the one I wrote. ;)

It was written for a very specific client's needs, however, so if
you give me a better idea what you need, I can tell you if it will
help.

I suppose it also depends on what you mean by a document management
system. I mean, a filesystem is a pretty good dms, some sort of DAV
scenario might also solve your problem.

The problem that led to my little project was the obvious limits of
email for transferring large files to and from a particular client, and
the $BigCorp firewall issues with using ftp.

What my code does is let you communicate large files to and from a
client over HTTP. It uses IP-based auth, that is, if you're inside
our local network you have all permissions, if you're outside, you have
none.

You can set an expiry on the file, cancel the file, blah blah,
and a link is then generated for the client to use to download the
file you're sending them.

It's a smallish app, written in perl. We haven't released it,
but I understand we were thinking of open sourcing it anyway.

Let me know if this sounds like something you can use.

Cheers,

Jens