[Melbourne-pm] Wikification of melbourne.pm.org?

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Tue Jan 10 00:25:50 PST 2006

G'day Ben,

Ben Marsh wrote:

> Admittedly the current Melbourne.pm.org maintainer seems very busy on
> other things.  I actually had the crazy thought that I might help
> with/do the melbourne.pm.org web page.  I do envisage that such a website requires
> information to be donated from lots of people.  But then so does a wiki.

One of the problems with the existing pm.org system is that it's not quite as
simple to make changes as one would like.  Altering content is done using
authenticated WebDav, which I don't use for anything else.  Adding new
webmasters means a lengthy registration process.  In short, the barrier to
making changes is high, and the number of people who can make changes are few.

The wiki advantage is that everything's provided out of the box.  Previewing,
change control, collaborative editing, a simple mark-up syntax, RSS feeds and
other goodies.  People who aren't going to go to all the effort to submit (and
chase) a request to a melbourne.pm webmaster will happily fix a wiki page.

I will admit that I'm doubly-biased towards wikification of melbourne.pm.org.
Not only do I think it will result in greater and better written content, I also
think that it will mean less work for me personally, as I'm one of the few
people with change access to the existing melbourne.pm.org website.

Cheerio,

	Paul

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf at perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/