[Melbourne-pm] Graphing / Charts]

Ben Marsh blm at woodheap.org
Thu Apr 13 01:16:36 PDT 2006

* Scott Penrose (scottp at dd.com.au) wrote:
> Hey Guys
>
> I have the ongoing ever need for development some reports which
> include some graphs and charts.
>
> Our desktop product takes a rough form of HTML and generates FO for
> use in generating PDFs. This is wonderful in the idea that we can
> change look and feel with CSS and if we need, XSL, to change our
> reports very easily.
>
> However, trying to add Charting functionality to that is not
> something I fancy doing.
>
> So I am looking at what charting and reporting is out there, which
> allows an XML document structure to define the report.
>
> As you can imagine, generating XML (in our case a subset of XHTML)
> from a database is easy, combining it with other documents is also
> easy, having parts of it generated from other systems is easy.
>
> So I realised, maybe there is already a solution out there. For
> example, it might be a simple system that generate SVG charts from a
> data source, that I can then pump through my FOP with some other XML
> for the text part of the report to generate PDFs.
>
> So then I thought, maybe this has all be achieved already, which is
> where you guys come in. Any ideas ?

I haven't tried to do this yet but want to look at it in the near
future.  A quick search of CPAN shows SVG::TT::Graph which is a base for

SVG::TT::Graph::Bar
SVG::TT::Graph::Pie
SVG::TT::Graph::Line
SVG::TT::Graph::BarHorizontal
SVG::TT::Graph::TimeSeries

So I assume you can do all these charts.  Do you have a particular chart
type in mind?

Ben Marsh