[Melbourne-pm] Meeting rescheduled. Next PM Meeting: Wednesday 19th April, 2006

Andrew Savige ajsavige at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 8 01:56:47 PDT 2006

--- Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> The votes ( http://perl.net.au/wiki/Melbourne_Perl_Mongers/12-19_April_vote )
> were far and away in favour (9-0) of rescheduling our meeting date to allow
> Andrew Savige to join us.
>
> So after tomorrow night's OSDClub meeting ( http://www.osdc.com.au/osdclub/ )
> you'll have almost 2 weeks before the Melbourne Perl Monger meeting on
> Wednesday 19th April.

Thanks guys!

I'd like to give a short talk (10 mins) on the history and current state
of play of Sydney.pm. Then we might be able to compare notes and exchange
ideas on how best to run a Perl mongers group. :-)

In addition to that, I plan to talk about my experiences as a first time
CPAN author creating Acme::EyeDrops. I'm flexible on the length of this
talk. If there are others wanting to give talks on the night, I could
trim it down to half an hour or so; on the other hand, if there is a
shortage of speakers, I could happily waffle on for an hour or more.

For the talk to be of broader interest, in addition to describing how
Acme::EyeDrops works (and digressing to related light-hearted topics),
I intend to discuss the serious problems I faced as a first time CPAN
author: how to choose a module name and design an interface (anything
else can be easily fixed later), deciding what perl versions/platforms
to support, VERSION, naming, how to document the module, how to do a
test suite, Devel::Cover, kwalitee, PBP and coding style, ...

Cheers,
/-\