[Melbourne-pm] [Maybe Spam] August's meeting

leif.eriksen@hpa.com.au leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au
Sun Jul 10 20:33:00 PDT 2005

jarich at perltraining.com.au wrote:

> You could walk us through creating tests to achieve 100%
>coverage.

You talkin' to me ?

> Perhaps you'd like to show us some of your favourite debugging tips,
>editor hacks, or useful tools.

I'm thinking of presenting a talk at OSDC on iterative grammar
development by combining Test::More and Parse::RecDescent - in other
words, bottom-up development of P::RD grammars, based on simplistic
application of eXtreme Programmings 'Test-First' idea. I found this to
be extremely powerful for writing a complex data validator (that was
ultimately junked as the client could never decide what was and was not
valid...sigh).
My problems in writing this are several
1. I am not an expert in grammars - I dont even really know what LR and
LL imply - hence my academic credentials for this most academic of
subjects are shot to pieces
2. Theres a lot of terminology and theory behind P::RD, not all of which
I understand
3. I tried once before to write a talk on this, and it was so dry and
dull and long I just gave up...

So if I hear a clamoring of people saying 'personally I stay at home on
Saturday nights, just so as I can polish my P::RD grammar, so your talk
sounds like 45 minutes of bliss', then I'll try again.

--
Leif Eriksen
Snr Developer
email: leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au