[Melbourne-pm] Perl garbage collection behaviour

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 24 06:38:03 PDT 2005

Alfie John <alfiejohn at acm.org> writes:
> On 24/08/2005, at 4:43 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>
>> I second this recommendation: there is no garbage collector as good,
>> or as fast, as exit(), so if you can rely on that, do. :)
>
> Actually,  fork/exec or a  stop/start solution on a Windows platform
> is painfully slow.

Fork is painfully slow; process creation is passably efficient, although
polling every five seconds is probably a bit much. :)

Regardless, it is still hard to beat the performance of exit for
removing all the memory your program has allocated.  Not as applicable
as I thought in this case, but still fast.

   Daniel