[Maybe Spam] [Melbourne-pm] Certification options

leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au leif.eriksen at hpa.com.au
Thu Oct 21 20:43:33 CDT 2004

OK, my $0.02

I find the biggest difference between a QBE (Qualified by Experience)
programmer and a graduate programmer is their knowledge of Software
Engineering (capitals deliberate). I know lots of non-graduate
programmers who can crank out large volumes of code, but sometimes, you
need to stop them and show them a concept like what a stack is, linked
lists, dispatch tables etc. Its not that their dumb, they just haven't
been exposed to the concepts - they learnt a language, started coding,
and thats what they know. This doesn't always apply, its just a pattern
I have seen. I dont know if that applies in this case.

Having said that, and assuming they dont want to spent 3 years doing a
BSc or such like, my first piece advice would be "follow the herd". You
have the best chance of finding a position with your newly-minted
certificate if you gain one in an area currently in demand. And right
now that means C#/.NET or Java (and mainly J2EE in that domain). This
assumes he want to develope programming skills, not DB or networking stuff.

That said, the gentleman in question may experience the same dilemma I
do. I am currently studying for my Java Certified Progammer exams. As a
reasonably competent Perl programmer, I find myself struggling to drag
myself into the study on a Saturday morning to knock off another chapter
in the Java course work. Compared to Perl, you have to write So Much
Code (tm) to do the simplest thing in Java, which makes the whole
experience somewhat sapping. But I do it because the number of well-paid
Perl positions is very low in Melbourne, but Java positions are far more
common (though there is probably just as much competition for them,
given the current job market). I know I would absolutely dread getting a
full time Java job, but when it comes to paying the bills, you do what
you have to.

Currently I see a lot of demand for .NET, and fortunately you could
probably justify using your hard earned Perl skills by writing servers
or clients in SOAP::Lite, as a 'just testing' scenario, whatever. An
employer could be impressed by a candidate who could implement .NET
architectures in C#, Mono and Perl SOAP::xxx - you would certainly show
mastery of the technologies and the implementation options.

HTH

Leif Eriksen
Snr Developer
HPA Pty Ltd