Damian Conway on Perl 6 -- February 17

Frederic Schutz schutz at wehi.EDU.AU
Tue Feb 3 00:49:11 CST 2004

Hi everyone,

Damian Conway is going to give a talk on the current state of Perl 6 in 2
weeks at the WEHI (Parkville). Everyone is welcome, no registration
required (but if you want you can send me an email if you plan to come, so
that I have an idea of how many people are coming and so that I can
contact you if there is any change of program).

Cheers,

Frederic
---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut

Tuesday 17 February, 11am
WEHI Lecture Theater (http://www.wehi.edu.au/about/locations.html)
Parkville

Prof Damian Conway
School of Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University.

Title:

     The Perl 6 Programming Language

Abstract:

     Perl 6 will be a major improvement on Perl 5 in many ways:
     syntactically, semantically, psychologically, and performance-wise.
     This talk looks at what is known, surmised, guessed, wished for,
     and dreaded about Perl 6. It discusses the history, motivations,
     syntax, semantics, and likely idioms of the new Perl.

About the speaker:

     Damian Conway holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science and is an
     Honorary Associate Professor with the School of Computer
     Science and Software Engineering at Monash University,
     Melbourne, Australia.

     He is also the CEO and chief presenter of Thoughtstream Pty Ltd,
     an I.T. training company based in Australia. Thoughtstream provides
     world-class Perl training to Fortune 50 corporations, educational
     institutions, and government agencies around the world.

     Damian is the author of numerous well-known Perl software modules
     including: Class::Contract, Text::Autoformat, Parse::RecDescent,
     Text::Balanced, Lingua::EN::Inflect, Class::Multimethods, Switch,
     Quantum::Superpositions, NEXT, Filter::Simple, Attribute::Handlers,
     Inline::Files, and Coy (all available from your local CPAN mirror).

     A leading member of the international Perl community, Damian was the
     winner of the 1998, 1999, and 2000 Larry Wall Awards for Practical
     Utility. He is a member of the technical committee for the annual
     Open Source Conference, and author of the book "Object Oriented
     Perl". Renowned for his skills as a speaker, and for the
     entertaining and often off-beat nature of his technical talks,
     Damian is widely sought-after as a conference speaker.

     Currently Damian is collaborating with Larry Wall on the design of
     the new Perl 6 programming language.