Cleaning Up on Edit from Perl

Aaron Wigley wigs at stirfried.org
Tue Jun 10 06:18:11 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 08:51:39PM +1000, Scott Penrose wrote:
> Even if my code was perfect Perl still deallocates all its memory -
> which all takes a while with such a large amount of code.
>
> So... I know that I can send myself a KILL, and I know I can do an exit
> in C - but ...
>
> 	* Should I?

Assuming that you know all external resources are disposed of adequately,
then there isn't anything really stopping you.

This also means that whatever code is added in future by any developers
needs to be aware of this exit policy for the process and respond accordingly,
even third party code/modules imported from CPAN.

> 	* Is there a Perl way to do it (properly - not kill)

You could always dispose of just those objects you don't want to have their
destructors called by using Acme::Damn, uploaded to CPAN yesterday :-)

--
Aaron