Melb.PM to see Lord of the Nerdlab

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Tue Jan 7 19:54:19 CST 2003

> 1800hrs turn up @ Nerdlab
> 1800-2000hrs work on Hostname::Long on various platforms*
> 2000-2130hrs eat @ some place in chinatown
> 2130-2200hrs head down to the nova in carlton
> 2200-????hrs see spirited away

The Nova is showing Spirited Away at 10:05pm and it goes for 124 minutes.

Whilst seeing Spirited Away again certainly has appeal to me, although I
would like to see LotR sometime too, 10pm is really getting on the late
side.  Does anyone have an alternative suggestion that might start in
seeing the movie earlier?

Unfortunately the only other showing of Spirited Away that I can see is
again at the Nova but at 7:40pm.

Perhaps those who aren't involved (and aren't interested in becomming
involved - although it will be tonnes of fun) or who want an earlier night
might like something like the following:

18?? hrs meet at a cinema to see desired movie
20?? hrs or thereabouts meet rest of PMers at some place in chinatown
        (lots of phone calls)
end of dinner, head off to see Spirited Away (a movie which gets huge
thumbs up) or head home.

Movie options b/w 6pm and 7pm

Die Another Day		Hoyts		6:45pm - 10pm
Harry Potter		Nova		6:35pm - 9:15pm
              		Village City 	6:00pm - 8:40pm
Rabbit Proof Fence	Lumiere		6:15pm - 7:40pm
Sweet Home Alabama	Greater Union	6:30pm - 8:20pm
The Lord of the Rings	Nova		6:30pm - 9:30pm
Treasure Planet		Greater Union	6:35pm - 8:10pm

Clearly the most likely options if we actually intend to all do dinner
together are Sweet Home Alabama:

"In order to marry her new fiancee, a New York fashion designer returns to
Alabama to divorce the redneck husband she married in high school, and
discovers she's still a Southern girl at heart. Stars Reese Witherspoon,
Candice Bergen, Patrick Dempsey and Ethan Embry."

(which doesn't really appeal to me)

or Rabbit Proof Fence:

"Based on the book by Doris Pilkington, this is the true story of three
Aboriginal girls who were stolen from their families in 1931 to be
assimilated into white culture as part of an official government policy.
Unable to bear their torturous new life, they escape and embark on an epic
journey to get back home, with the authorities chasing them all the way.
Stars Everlyn Sampi, Tianna Sansbury, Laura Monaghan, Kenneth Branagh and
Deborah Mailman."

(apparently a great movie and one I wouldn't mind seeing some time)

or Treasure Planet

"A futuristic twist on Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, this
animated film traces a teenager's fantastic journey across the universe as
cabin boy aboard a majestic space galleon. Stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt,
Brian Murray, Emma Thompson, David Hyde Pierce and Martin Short."

(which might be worthwhile).

Alternately we can all head to the nerdlab and split off from there as we
each feel.

	Jacinta