Generic File Access

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Sat Oct 12 04:51:04 CDT 2002

Hey Dudes

I have a major need for some generic file access API in Perl.
A generic access API would have the one polymorphic interface to SSH
(SCP), FTP, WebDAV, Local etc.

The following are the options I have.
	- XS mapping to Gnome VFS (Gnome's virtual file system)
	- XS mapping to CURL (Curl is a set of libs and command lines to do
this)
	- Write a higher level API (DBI style) to do this.

My problems (and advantages) with each are as follows.

VFS
===
	- Very complicated
	- Very big
	- Good as it is so complete
	- Lots of call backs

Curl
====
	- Behind in crucial implementations (SCP/SSH is still not supported)
	- Simpler

Roll my own
===========
	- Could be simple, depending on level
	- I have written a basic implementation but as soon as I
	  read the VFS functionality I realise that others could
	  require much more than I could provide

So I have to think about what the best approach is. I was looking for
either some sensible feedback, how other people have dealt with the
situation and if any other solutions are out there.

Any ideas ? Feedback ? Other alternatives ?

:-)

Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).