[MLUG] reboot CGI script needed

Jeremy Howard jh_lists at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 10 14:48:59 CST 2002

Jeremy Lunn wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 08:49:16PM +1100, Bryan Nolen wrote:
> > I know this is not secure, but lets say that the server is not taking
> > telnet/ssh sessions but is still serving FTP/HTTP/HTTPS (very weird) and
> > don't wanna have to pay $150/hr to get access to the data centr on the
long
> > weekend to do a reboot :)
>
> A better approach would be to have a 486 or something old acessible only
> by a dialup modem and from there using a null modem cable with console
> on serial support on your server.  Or something like that.  You could
> also get a realweasel card which would give you serial access to the
> bios and a means of cold rebooting.

Or just get a remote reboot module. Basically, you plug one end of a cable
into the module, and the other end into your PC's reset switch. The module
is then attached to the phone line and away you go. I don't have a reference
on hand but I've certainly seen these advertised in the Australian tech
press.