Web Site Update and July Talks

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Jun 13 22:00:03 CDT 2002

On Friday, June 14, 2002, at 12:39 , Nathan Bailey wrote:

> Jeremy Howard <jhoward at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Another approach is to have a Windows box that runs a Perl SOAP daemon
>> that provides a gateway to Win32::OLE...
>
> We use wvHTML to convert Word documents (and Spreadsheet::ParseExcel
> for Excel).  It works reasonably well if you just want to get at the
> document (i.e. not if you want to print it with all the formatting,
> etc.)

We use our own XML template for wv for conversion, works great. I just
had a look and can't find any interfaces out there for word view. It
might be nice to write one up, can start fairly simple:

	my $wv = Convert::WordView->new();		# Create instance
	$wv->config($filehandle 				# Which config xml file
		or $filename or $scalarref);
	$wv->charset('UTF-8');					# Character set ?

	$wv->input($filehandle or $filename or $scalarref [,$password])
										# What to convert

	$wv->execute;							# Cause it to happen

	$wv->output(undef or $filehandle or $filename);
										# Return text or out to file
	foreach my $img ($wv->images()) {		# Handle the images
		# Save, rename, whatever
	}

Is this useful ?

Scott

--
Scott Penrose
Anthropomorphic Personification Expert
scott at cpan.org

Dismaimer: While every attempt has been made to make sure that this
email only contains zeros and ones, there has been no effort made to
guarantee the quantity or the order.