Single API for Email access

Jeremy Howard jhoward at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 12 20:25:07 CDT 2002

Scott Penrose wrote:

> <...>
> Does anyone have experience using these. If so, with which ones. There
> is Mail::Box, but it does not seem to do IMAP and does not give  you a
> list of folders etc. It is more about doing things like MH vs MBox etc.
>
> There is also Mail::Folder, but all the work involved around that is
> for local mail folders, and only supports a dot lock on the local mail
> folder.

The problem I see is that you're forcing yourself to support the lowest
common denominator of functionality this way. POP3 only supports logging
in, listing ids, and getting a message (or the 'TOP' of a message). IMAP
supports a complex query language for searches, multiple folders in a
tree, multiple namespaces, MIME parsing and getting specific MIME parts,
instant message notification, pipelined operations, etc.