Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

Graeme Cross gcross at alphalink.com.au
Wed Aug 21 02:46:28 CDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:27:50 +1000, "Scott Penrose" <scottp at dd.com.au>
said:

> On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, at 09:54 , Graeme Cross wrote:
>
> > As some of you know, I have just installed a Red Hat system at home and
> > am slowly reacquainting myself with Red Hat.
>
> I thought you had moved to FreeBSD ?

I'm running a mix of Debian, FreeBSD and now Red Hat, which has become
my main development box.

> > So: Red Hat users -- given the small number of Perl modules that come
> > with Red Hat, how do you manage Perl modules from other sources (eg CPAN).
>
> BTW. Doing a "perl Makefile.pl; make install" is not as sensible as
> using CPAN. If you use CPAN you at least pick up all the dependencies
> and keep track of what is installed.

I had completely forgotten about using the CPAN module. This would
address (at least) some of my issues.

Under Windows, I use Activestate Perl and PPM, which works pretty well.
Under Debian and FreeBSD, I used the appropriate package.

With Red Hat, I had been manually downloading the appropriate tarball
from CPAN, extracting and then doing "perl Makefile.pl; make install".
Using the CPAN module is definitely a step up from that.

Cheers
Graeme

--
Graeme Cross <gcross at alphalink.com.au>