Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

Adam Clarke Adam.Clarke at StrategicData.com.au
Tue Aug 20 20:49:28 CDT 2002

I have been considering this lately for out app servers. We use Debian
and it tends to use perl for all sorts of admin duties which means that
futzing with its version of Perl is to be done with care.

I am leaning towards a /usr/local version of Perl so that I can easily
update that (using CPAN). It would form the basis of out application and
we won't have to worry about updating our entire OS just because Perl
5.8.1 has some u-bute feature we feel we really need.

What do people think of this approach? Can you see any downside?