[mnw.pm] Booth Babe rant

Lisa Nyman lnyman at Census.gov
Fri Jul 7 20:54:22 CDT 2000

Hi,

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Chris Nandor wrote:

> At 19.11 -0400 2000.07.07, Lisa Nyman wrote:
> >I, for one, think that if the Perl
> >Community reached out more to the Web Community (in a non condescending,
> >non just-ranting-over-bad-code way), we might reach more women.
>
> I don't follow this (perhaps because of my ignorance).  Does the "Web
> Community" have a lot more women in it?  Would those women have a tendency
> to learn Perl?

Yes it does.  Many women entered the web world from related fields like
graphics arts, publishing, etc., not traditional 'hard-core' tech fields
or programming.  My local web women group, DCWebWomen has over 3000
members.

I'm sure some of these women have a desire to learn perl, just as they
learn other techniques for web development.

-lisa