[mnw.pm] Wisdom of Princess Leia

elaine ashton elaine at cts.wustl.edu
Wed May 12 10:36:37 CDT 1999

In the spirit of the Star Wars frenzy (driving into the university this
morning I saw a row of tents outside the local theatre) I couldn't resist
sharing this funny tidbit from an article in one of the weekly news rags
my mother gave me. Carrie Fisher wrote "Postcards from The Edge of the
Galaxy" talking about her experience as a 19 year old overnight success
and there were two hilarious nuggets of wisdom contained therein;

1) From her diary...
	"I've got to stop getting obsessed with human beings and fall in
love with a chair. Chairs have everything human beings have to offer, and
less, which is obviously what I need. Less emotional and intellectual
feedback, less warmth, less approval, less patience and less response. The
less the merrier. Chairs it is. I must furnish my heart with feelings for
furniture"

Quite excellent wisdom for those of us lacking even a couch :) Come to
think of it...less _is_ more in Unix....

2) "There are three degrees of being weird. There are: 1) Salvageably
weird. 2) Weird. 3) Irrevocably weird."

6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, 3 degrees of being weird...very true though :)

Anyway...enjoy the Star Wars mayhem. Maybe we should get Carrie Fisher to
try Perl then she would really get the 3 degrees of weird.

e.