[mnw.pm] MNW Web page ideas

Adam Turoff ziggy at panix.com
Mon Mar 15 00:22:55 CST 1999

Bradley Kuhn wrote:
> Thus spoke Thalia L. Hooker:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What about links to other organizations/associations/programming
> > groups that have a 'Women in Computing' [I know someone can come up
> > with a better title than that!] sections?
>
> I believe that ACM has such a sub-section (it might even be a SIG, I am not
> sure).

Looking on ACM's site, I saw that they have a video on the subject.
amazon or clbooks probably have more grist for that mill.

In terms of books, Sadie Platt penned 'Zeros and Ones' either on
gender issues with computing, or on the effect of women on computing.
(I'm not sure which; it's still on one of my to-read shelves.)

> I apologize for posting with that little, somewhat less-than-helpful
> information, but I do know that ACM has focused on the issue of Women in
> Computing off and on over the years (but never enough to make a real
> impact <SIGH>).

The ACM seems to have dropped the ball on this one.  Then again, it may
be a direct effect that many women are too smart to slog away in
academia and are too busy in the trenches instead....

~50% of the worlds code is written in some dialect of COBOL.  (+/-
some large epsilon of course.  :-)  By that metric, Admiral Grace Hopper
has had a ver', ver' big impact on computing.  But when was the last time
you saw a book on Algorithms in COBOL?

In terms of impact, the only person with more impact would be
John von Neumann.  Or maybe Alan Turing.

Z.