greetings and welcome

Elaine Ashton eashton at bbnplanet.com
Wed Dec 2 16:10:40 CST 1998

Welcome to the MarsNeedsWomen.pm mailing list. I am Elaine Ashton, a.k.a.
HappyFunBall, one of your hosts on this adventure. This list germinated
from an idea at the Perl Conference 2.0 Perl Monger BOF and a query about
how to get more women into the world of Perl. I'm not sure exactly how
many women were at the conference but I would venture to say not many.
Hopefully this list will grow and encourage more women to get involved in
the community as well as the language.

So, to get this list rolling, perhaps we could all introduce ourselves,
what we do and how/why we use Perl for work and for fun.

I am Sr. Unix System Admin for BBN/GTEI Web Hosting Operations where we
manage dedicated web servers for a wide range of customers. I have worked
with Unix for ~13 years and have used perl since 1993 for everything from
quick hacks to a distributed web based user management application. I
think Perl is the coolest thing since coffee makers and single malt
scotch.

e.