Hello, Manchester

Paul Henry emmo at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:12:19 CDT 2001

Paul Johnston wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm the UNIX sysadmin in the Department of Language Engineering / Centre
for
> Computational Linguistics / Centre forTranslation and Intercultural
Studies or
> whatever we are calling ourselves today.
> Besides the usual sysadmin perl hacking I mainly use perl in a
Computational
> Linguistics field, working on Corpora with a bit of cgi thrown in for fun
and
> some perl/postgres integration, mainly under Solaris!

Computational Linguistics, eh? Interesting. Just checked out the departments
website.

I am currently working on some agent software, written in Perl, which checks
peoples favourite websites for anything new, and extracts that information
and emails a summary to the user. So instead of surfing they just get
updates when the page changes. The "diff" and information extraction is
haphazard, though, and I am using a few cheats to make it look better.

Looking at the UMIST website just made me realize (d'uh!) that there is
probably stuff out there that does this in quite sophisticated ways.

I suppose Perl is ideal for Computational Linguistics?