Hello, Manchester!

Paul Henry emmo at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 06:06:14 CDT 2001

Whoops!

Paul Henry wrote:
> Been hacking with Perl for about 1 year.

Actually, that's bullshit. That's what I tell agencies when I am looking for
Perl work, since I have not worked as a Perl developer. Actually been
playing with Perl since 97 on and off. Mostly off. :)

I have a general question. I am thinking about using a combination of Perl
plus a webserver (say Apache with mod_perl) as an XML server (actually an
XML front end to existing web services - yes, I think this is what Microsoft
.NET is about, but they stole the idea from me! Honest! Check out:

http://www.emmo.ukshells.co.uk/cgi-bin/salsa_xml.cgi?QUERY=THINKPAD

to get an idea of what I was thinking of).

Anyway - I'm a bit worried about performance issues. I understand that
mod_perl and also FastCGI can help here, and I'm thinking that if Perl CGI +
Apache is good enough for a hell of a lot of web sites then its probably
good enough for me!

I know this is a wishy-washy question without details, and my approach to
performance issues in the past is to first get the functionality correct and
then tweak and tune. However am just wondering if the basic approach of Perl
+ Apache + (mod_perl or FastCGI or both?) is OK, or has someone had problems
with this.

Cheers,
-Paul