[Fwd: [ ANNOUNCE ] - ActivePerl 5.6 Release Candidate 1]

Simon Oliver simon.oliver at umist.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 06:56:21 CST 2000

You may want to take a look at this - I notice that ActiveState are providing
un*x distributions of ActivePerl 5.6 too.  This may solve Paul's unicode
problem?

Be aware that the following link points to a release candidate not an offical
release.

http://www.activestate.com/cgibin/ActivePerl/download.pl

Does this mean that "core" perl will support unicode and other great features?

...I've just donwloaded the latest developer release of Perl (Version
v5.5.670        Development release working toward v5.6) and looked at the
perlfunc docs and there it is:

    U   A Unicode character number.  Encodes to UTF-8 internally.
             Works even if C<use utf8> is not in effect.

--
  Simon Oliver