[Maine-pm] Hello

maine-pm-admin at mail.pm.org maine-pm-admin at mail.pm.org
Wed Jun 11 08:28:59 CDT 2003

On 6/11/03 at 7:21 AM, maine-pm-admin at mail.pm.org wrote:

> > Perhaps what is confusing is that the list is set up so that every
> > post appears to come from maine-pm-admin at mail.pm.org rather than
> > the actual sender.
>
> It was suggested to me by two of the list members to set the list up
> as an anonymous list, thus protecting user's email addresses in the
> list auto-archives from web scanners used by spammers.
>
> There is also an option on the list to obscure email addresses so
> this doesn't happen - but this doesn't seem to be affecting the
> contents of the archives, as the addresses still appear un-obscured.
>
> I'm OK with changing the configuration so the list isn't anonymous -
> but I'd need some feedback from the rest of the folks on the list
> since there are currently (or at least 'were') two 'no' votes before.

The horse has already left the barn for me. So now, rather than try to
hide from spammers I just use SpamAssassin (available free at:
http://spamassassin.taint.org/). It is currently catching about 40 spam
messages per day, no false positives and only one or two actual spam
messages get through each day. (*and* it's written in Perl :-)

No need to live in fear anymore ;-)

Andrew