[Maine-pm] Welcome

Joe Minieri jminieri at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 3 12:10:21 CDT 2002

Since the list is starting (slowly) to be populated, I thought it would
be a good idea to send out a short email and start some discussion
around the creation of the users group.  I'm hoping that everyone will
help get the user group established.  Please inform anyone else you may
know who would be interested as well.

I'd like to find out what people would expect from a local PERL users
group.  I know some of the groups meet regularly and some groups are
merely email lists of users.  I'd prefer a regular meeting.

Evidently, the meeting styles are also quite different - some more
social and others more technical.  I'd prefer a mix.

I think it would be good if we could identify a corporate sponsor of
some kind.  At a minimum to provide us a conference room and projector
for presentations and perhaps graciously provide some type of snacks as
well (soda, chips, pizza, whatever).  I'm going to approach my company
about the latter, but I don't think we could host it (as our office is
in Massachusetts, which seems a little far to go for a Portland based
UG).

Of course, if we choose a corporate sponsor of some kind, they may like
some free publicity as a result.  I'm OK with that, but I don't know
anyone else's general attitude toward that.

Assuming we do decide to meet regularly (monthly?), I would suggest a
meeting format of something like:

            Introductions/Welcome

            Q&A (allow people to ask questions about PERL and its usage)

            Presentations (1 or 2 per night)

Lastly, we'd need presenters (Kanji, I see that hand).  So let me know
if you're interested in that too.

Thanks!

Joe Minieri

Pownal, Maine