[LA.pm] O'Reilly favorites?

Robert McElfresh sirbobx at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 20:43:13 PST 2016

It's not O'Riley but the "Perl Black Book" was my favorite. Nearly 1,000 pages with every page dealing with an issue and a complete perl solution.
Perl Black Book (2Nd Ed.) (With Cd)

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Perl Black Book (2Nd Ed.) (With Cd)The most comprehensive Perl book in the market - with more than 1000 examples and three bonus chapters in the CD - ROM - the new editions of the best selling Per... |
|  |
| View on books.google.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

    On Monday, February 8, 2016 11:49 PM, Buddy Burden <barefootcoder at gmail.com> wrote:

 Dallas,

Did you ever get any answers to this query?

> Out of all the stuff available from O'Reilly:
>
> 1) What book would you recommend as the most usefull Perl book?
>
> (and if there is any difference :-) ):
>
> 2) What book would you recommend as the most (theoretically) important?

Well, of course it's hard to beat the Camel book for all-around
usefulness.  But I have very fond memories of the Panther book:
_Advanced Perl Programming_.[1]  It's been a long time since I read it,
but I remember very distinctly feeling that it was the impetus for my
advancing to the next level in Perl programing.

Now, if you were willing to look beyond O'Reilly, then I would probably
recommend chromatic's _Modern Perl_.[2]  But within the O'Reilly
context, the Panther book is probably my top choice.

HTH!

        -- Buddy

[1]
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Perl-Programming-Simon-Cozens/dp/0596004567