[LA.pm] RFC: What do you want from LA.PM?

Alex Teslik alex at acatysmoof.com
Mon Apr 29 11:46:10 PDT 2013

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:59:35 -0700, Andrew Grangaard wrote
> Hello Mongers!  I'd love to hear from you all.
>
> Questions:
> * What do you want from your PM group?

You're doing a GREAT job already! Setting up the meeting place, often having
free food and BEvERages, and handling all the organizational logistics and
speaker finding...whew! The only thing that would help would be to locate the
meetings in different parts of the city instead of always on the west side.
It's very difficult for me to get out there by 7, so I miss most meetings. I
can offer a meeting place in Burbank. One time there was a meeting downtown,
which was great.

> * What types of talks: deep dive or broad topic?  Hands on practices?
> Target level: Intro/Med/Advanced?  Q&A? Hackathon? More structure, less
> structure?

I'd like to see the pm focus on projects as a group on a multi-session monthly
basis, instead of hackathons - so I guess multi-session deep dives would be
cool. Contribute back to open source by adding features and/or fixing bugs in
known Perl programs or modules - or at least analize Perl software offerings
and recommend improvements. This shows an active community through action while
improving the software offerings written in Perl. Perl has lost its footing in
providing the best solutions for commonly sought after tools (Trac,CMS,bug
tracking,cloud,photo album,webmail,etc) but it is plenty capable of setting the
bar. London.pm used to do this sort of thing iirc.

tldr; A little less talk and a lot more action. People who miss the meetings
could still jump in at home.

> * Would you like the talks recorded?  Would you be willing to be recorded
> if you were speaking?  I've heard pros and cons for both.

yes. yes. Having the slides at least has been very helpful.

> * What do you use to keep track of the meetings?  Emails to the list;
> random checking of http://la.pm.org, the facebook group and/or facebook
> event invites?  Direct messaging from peers?  twitter??   LA tech calendar
> http://latechcalendar.com/ ?

Emails from you, so THANK YOU!

Thanks,
Alex