[LA.pm] [LA.PM] Bringing a Hackerspace to South L.A.

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 08:56:29 PDT 2013

Howdy folks.

I spoke with some of y'all at SCALE this year about how I'm working on
bringing more technology resources to South Central L.A. Part of that is
bringing a hackerspace to a traditionally under-served area. More than
that, we envision it as a community center built around technology-
machines running Linux, training kids & teens how to program & exposing
people of ALL ages to open source software, etc. But we need YOUR help to
do it! We've made a submission to the LA2050 contest where we could win 1
of 10 grants worth $100,000 to make this vision a reality.

Please visit the link below, create an account & vote for us. You'll
receive an email asking you to confirm your vote so please do so. There's a
little over 48 hours before the voting period ends.
http://myla2050.maker.good.is/projects/urbantxt

If you feel it a worthwhile endeavor, it'd be great if you could also share
it with your social networks. If so, you can tweet @UrbanTxT & @Techivist
(me) with the #Hackaneer hashtag.

Thanks in Advance!
--miguel

p.s. We just had South LA's 2nd Hackathon event this past Saturday where we
taught kids how to program with Scratch, continued building a community
resource guide/website & a bunch of other cool things. Comment below if
you'd like to see links to photos of the event, etc. :)