[LA.pm] Classes with heterogeneous objects?

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Wed Apr 4 14:43:56 PDT 2012

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:14:49 -0800 (PST)
Mike MacKenzie <mackenziemikebus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You are right of course, ref wouldn't tell you
> the underlying implementation type.__ However,
> I think Randall is still correct -- ubiquitous
> use of introspection code (aka navel gazing)
> is a real downer.__ Encapsulating the type
> determination code in a lookup table/method
> somehow would help but you'd still have the
> overhead__ -- actually more overhead
> computationally.

Simple fix: never use "ref" use "reftype" or
"blessed" instead:

    use Scalar::Util qw( reftype );

    given( reftype $object )
    {
        when( 'HASH' )
        {
        }
    }

<http://www.slideshare.net/lembark/scalar-list-utils>

--
Steven Lembark                                             3646 Flora Pl
Workhorse Computing                                   St Louis, MO 63110