[LA.pm] Need some advice

wrboss1 at aol.com wrboss1 at aol.com
Mon Nov 1 12:19:21 PDT 2010

 Hey, I'm no lawyer but as far as options go you might also consider contacting the Feds or police.  Representing yourself as someone else for financial gain sounds like fraud to me.  If this fellow has had no involvement in the project for the past few years (or ever) then clearly he's trading on your good name in order to make money.  Might try contacting the Post Office Postal Inspectors (using a fraudulent identity to make money) or the FBI. (https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov)

Likewise, contacting PayPal to report the website as fraudulent might be another recourse.

He might be able to keep the domain name if you aren't successful in a Domain Name Dispute Resolution but he can't represent himself as the real OpenWebMail to make money -- especially using copyright material. The actual project may not be copyrighted because of the GNU license *but* whoever originally created the website has a copyright on it and all content, he can't use that.  You might also try emailing the "badguy" a cease and desist letter for violating copyright (on the website) and if he refuses, email the server provider a copyright cease and desist letter demanding a takedown of the site.

A Trademark on OpenWebMail would probably make everything way easier -- so if you have that, happy days.

You should also consider (as suggested by another) posting 'what's happened' on your legitimate website so it's clear what's happened since I have no idea how long the Domain Name Dispute Resolution process takes.

I'm not familiar with the full details of your situation so these are just ideas and may not work at all -- I agree that a good lawyer would be really helpful but stealing someone's website is so egregious that you should be able to find someone who can help.

Good luck.

Will