[LA.pm] Next Meeting: Dec 2, 2009

Jordan Schwartz jordan247 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 21:49:35 PST 2009

> Next Perl Mongers is this Wednesday, December 2.

>We’ve got a fun
> topic:  a guided group discussion of vim tricks and tips for perl and perl
> trips and ticks for vim.

I'm in, being a vi user and JAPH this should be interesting.

BTW If you are looking for geek speak double shot this week you may
want to check out Erik Kline's presentation on IPv6 on Thursday in
beautiful  El Segundo.

Details are below and at uuasc.org.

Later,

Jordan

              UUASC-LA
Unix Users Association of Southern California
   Los Angeles County Chapter
      December 2009 Meeting

                  IPv6

              Erik Kline

   Thursday, Dec. 3, 7-9 pm

     Sun Microsystems, Inc.
 222 N. Sepulveda in El Segundo
 10th Floor -- Martinique Room

UUASC-LA rounds out it's 10th year of hosting Unix related
talks in Southern California with a presentation on IPv6. Since
ARIN CEO John Curran predicts that the IPv4 space will be exhausted
within 700 days this makes for a timely presentation.

Erik Kline will be following up on his IPv6 presentation last March
where he will go into the adoption of IPv6 around the world including
how the "step by step" approach which led to the launch of ipv6.google.com.

Erik is an IPv6 Engineer at Google, has previously worked at Network
Appliance, and holds a degree in Aeronautics/Astronautics from MIT.
Erik and his colleague Lorenzo Colitti were presented the first Itojun
Service Award at IETF 76 in Hiroshima for their outstanding contributions
to the development and deployment of IPv6.

IMPORTANT: The building is locked at 7 pm and anyone who arrives after that
time will require a Sun employee to escort them to the meeting. For that
reason, everyone is highly encouraged to arrive before 7 pm so that our Sun
representative doesn't have to be in two places at once -- downstairs
escorting late arrivals and upstairs babysitting our meeting. It is also
highly probable that those who arrive after 7:30 may not be able to attend the
meeting.

After the meeting, you are invited to mingle with many of the chapter members
at UUASC-LA's favorite dining and drinking spot. Details will be presented at
the meeting.

WARNING: People may take photographs of UUASC-LA meetings and social events.
If someone is absolutely opposed to having his or her photograph taken, that
person needs to please speak with the photographer.

Warning to photographers: You must have a person's permission to post
photographs in any public manner.

Directions:

>From the South via Interstate 405:

Exit at El Segundo Blvd. Turn left and proceed approximately three miles to
the intersection of El Segundo Blvd. and Sepulveda. Turn right (Northbound),
stay in the right lane. Skip to "Northbound on Sepulveda", below.

>From the North via Interstate 405:

Exit at El Segundo Blvd. Turn left onto La Cienega Blvd. (get into the right
lane). Turn right at El Segundo Blvd and proceed approximately three miles
tothe intersection of El Segundo Blvd and Sepulveda. Turn right (Northbound),
stay in the right lane.

Northbound on Sepulveda:

You should now be proceeding nortbound, in the right lane along Sepulveda
Blvd. The signal at the next intersection (Sepulveda/Grand) is an important
landmark. The meeting venue is in the Oracle building (222 Sepulveda) on the
Southeast corner, just before the intersection, on the right. The Free Parking
is *across* the intersection, in the Northeast corner on the right.

Parking:

Continue northbound across the intersection, turn into the first driveway on
the right, known as the LAX Business Park. Go through the raised gates, turn
right, find  a parking space close to the traffic signal.

Building:

Short stairs lead from the raised parking lot to the sidewalk. Walk across the
intersection heading south. The UUASC meeting venue (Sun Microsystems office)
is in the "Oracle" building, closest to the southeast corner of the
Sepulveda/Grand intersection. Entrances are located on the Oracle building's
North and South sides. However, after business hours, the North side is
closed; go to the South entrance.  If the doors are locked here, the security
guard can open it; politely knock on the door to get their attention.

Enter and sign in, inform the guard that you want to go to the Sun
Microsystems offices on the 10th floor. That means the elevators to the right,
and the guard will likely need to activate the elevator for you. The UUASC
meeting is in Sun's offices on the 10th floor.

For any questions on how to get there, call 310-607-2400. However, that number
won't be available after business hours (5:30). After that time, call
310-607-2560.