[LA.pm] Meetings - general thoughts.

pete p at chudpi.org
Thu May 14 10:04:23 PDT 2009

On a general note, it seems that there is plenty of interest in
meeting, we're just not too great at organization.

One way this can be ameliorated - as my old PM group MadMongers in
Madison, WI did - is to set a recurring meeting in a predefined
location.  For example, "the LA.pm meetings are first and third
Thursday at 7:00PM in the [pub] in [address/map link/gps coords]."
Whoever shows up, shows up and geeks out.  If a meeting gets moved due
to a special guest speaker or event, the organizer of said event posts
a notification on  the list and the pm page.

This way the organization becomes, for the most part, automated with
the exception of special events, which generally already have
organizers perfectly willing to carry the burden of leadership limited
to the scope of said event.

It works well for for MadMongers, who meet regularly even in cases of
the absence of clearly defined leadership.  A few people met, good
conversation happened, moved to the list, bringing it to life and
spreading interest of the topic to the mongers that didn't attend the
meeting, incenticised those mongers to make it to the next meeting
....  it can be a catalyst.

I suggest that we stick to the location of this next meeting, as there
is already sufficient consensus that it works for enough people for at
least one meeting. We'll see how well it works and go from there.

Just a thought.
Cheers :-)
Pete.