[LA.pm] Recap [ Re: June Perl Mongers Meeting - Wed, Jun 17, 2009 ]

Andrew Grangaard agrangaard at rubiconproject.com
Mon Jun 29 11:48:13 PDT 2009

"Thank you!" to all who came out to the June meeting. We had nearly 20
people and two excellent presentations.

David's talk challenged the common belief that "Perl is Slow" and
sparked an excellent discussion that ranged from data models, snowflake
schemas and pure perl olap cubes and off to Bloom filters, scaling
horizontally vs vertically, hadoop/hbase and onwards. To paraphrase:
Make it as simple as possible (elegance) and think about every speed
consideration (diligence).

Matt's presentation was packed as he demonstrated the technologies and
ideas behind his latest project. We got to see a lot of live code and
patterns in action. Touching on Moose, MooseX::Storage, KiokuDB, Coro,
Continuity, Mason, JSON, AnyEvent, Moose::Object::Pluggable, Process,
Seamstress, HTML::Tree, HTML::Element, Net::Server, IPC::Cmd, jquery and
Joose. Then gluing it all together and testing it.  The pdf cheatsheet
from his talk is available at the link below.

In between speakers we continued the discussion while we munched pizza
and raided the beer fridge. We had a fun cross section of people, those
who signed in to show support: Gray, HSiegel, Jordan, David, David,
Matt, Allen and others). Eric and his coworkers from Campus Explorer
even drove to Santa Monica on their work-from-home-Wednesday.  Rubicon
Project, thanks for the support, location, food and vibe.

Can't wait to see you all in July.

http://lowlevelmanager.blogspot.com/2009/06/june-perl-mongers-recap.html

peace,
Andrew