[LA.pm] Anyone with a teaching bug?

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:18:06 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Andy Lester <andy at petdance.com> wrote:
>>> I'll take a spirited player wanting to learn over a benchwarmer any day.
>>
>> I'll take a benchwarmer over a spirited newcomer who has not learned
>> and objects when informed of the need to learn before trying to inform
>> others.  At least the benchwarmer is not actively causing harm.
>
> I can't see that someone saying "Hey, I'm developing this" is "causing
> harm."

Talk to someone who had to unlearn a bad introduction to Perl if you
don't see the harm.  To name someone we both know, I would suggest
getting an earful from Curtis Poe (Ovid in perlmonks).

Now he obviously did unlearn his bad introduction.  I've encountered
other programmers, including some smart people, who never did.

> And I certainly didn't see anything in response other than "boy, that
> sucks."

You say that like it is always bad to point out suckage.

Cheers,
Ben