[LA.pm] Tech Meeting @ Pricegrabber - Tuesday, March 18th 7:00pm

Juan Jose Natera naterajj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:31:04 PST 2008

What:

Thomas MacNeil will talk about Writing Modules

Where:

Pricegrabber
10940 Wilshire Blvd., 11th Floor,
Los Angeles, CA  90024

When:

Tuesday, March 18th at 7:00pm

About the speaker:

Thomas MacNeil has been working in IT professionally as a consultant,
developer, architect or manager for the past 15 years.  He has worked at
both small companies like Vegas.com and large companies like Lockheed
Martin, TRW (now Northrop Grumman), and Experian Information Solutions.
Thomas is currently the Director of Technology Operations at Pricegrabber,
and works to ensure the operational integrity and scalability of the site.

About the presentation:

Modules let us encapsulate our code and easily share it with others.  Yet
so many still cut and paste code instead of creating modules.  This talk
will be a brief overview of namespaces, packages, and symbol tables.  Tom
will show how with some simple structure and conventions, you too can
create clean distributable Perl modules!  We'll even build a sample module
as we go through the concepts.  Good times.

About the host:

PriceGrabber.com is the leading online comparison shopping site that
revolutionized the way consumers make purchasing decisions through the
Internet. Since 1999, PriceGrabber.com has received wide recognition as an
industry leader, including "2006 Internet Company of the Year" (Southern
California Software Council), and #1 comparison shopping site of choice
for active Web shoppers (Forrester, 2007).

Pricegrabber will be providing pizza and beverages for the attendees.

Parking and Building Instructions:

Provided by Pricegrabber, please follow these instructions:

 - Pull into the back of our building (entrance on Ashton Ave.)
 - There will be a ramp going under the building into the monthly
parking area.  The gate will be down, so each attendee will have to push
the button to ring the parking attendant and let them know they are with
Perl Mongers.  The Parking attendant will open the gate.  They will have to
do the same on the way out.
 - Once parked, take the elevator to level 'G'
 - Check in w/ the security guard, and let them know they are with
Perl Mongers, visiting PriceGrabber.com
 - Take the next set of elevators to the 11th floor, and that's
where the meeting will occur

Use the following link for the Google Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=10940+Wilshire+Blvd.+Los+Angeles,+CA+90024&sll=34.02156,-118.32956&sspn=0.048303,0.115871&ie=UTF8&ll=34.058917,-118.33683&spn=0.193128,0.463486&z=12

The LA.pm Team
Alyson Lago, Pablo Velasquez, Juan Natera