[LA.pm] Tech. Meeting Jan 29th @ Oversee.net

Pablo Velasquez pablo at paeli.com
Fri Jan 18 16:42:42 PST 2008

What: Christopher Paulika will present "The Road to Test Driven Development"
When: Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Where: Oversee.net
515 S. Flower Street, Suite 4400
Los Angeles, CA 90071
213-408-0080
* There is high security for this building, please bring a picture id in order
to access the building.

The Road to Test Driven Development
Test-driven development is about finally finishing a project, and preventing
the endless wanderings in various cul-de-sacs and dead ends as you drive
yourself towards happy and successful completion.

Types of testing?  QA vs Dev vs Deploy vs Systems. Who owns testing?
Testing frameworks
1. Test to Verify: Write  code, deploy, find bug, write test to verify, fix
bug, test  dissolves
2. Test for Regression:  Same as above keep tests in a suite for reuse
3. Test for Design: Design  API, write code, write tests for edge cases, keep
(possibly for  regression)
4. Test Driven: Write  test, design API, run tests, write code

Bio On Speaker Christopher Paulika
Christopher Paulicka is the Technical Lead for the Oversee Domain Management
group at Oversee.net.

Christopher has worked on virtual reality systems, video games, data
visualization, embedded systems, and finally internet technologies as Web 2.0
takes off.  He has had the privilege of developing software from conception
to delivery, and after 16 years has created thousands of
independently interacting software components in dozens of distinctive
development environments with multiple languages from assembly to Scheme to
Smalltalk.

Throughout the years of managing the complexity of various component
interactions, Christopher continues to focus on optimizing the software
development process:  increasing the fun while decreasing the frustration.

Parking
Attendees please park in the A-Level garage and Oversee.net will provide a
parking validation for this event.

A-Level Garage
•       The garage is located at 515 S. Flower Street
•       There are two entrances to the garage on Flower & 5th Street
•       Once you get to the entrance of the garage, please take a ticket and
proceed to the valet service area
•       The garage is only valet, so you will leave your keys with the
attendant, who in turn will give you a claim check
•       You will then proceed to the South Tower or North Tower  and go up the
elevator and check in with Security
•       At the time of exit, you will come down to the A-level and present
your claim check to the valet attendant
•       You will be asked if you will be paying for your ticket or if you have
a validation.
•       The validation or coupon is offered by the tenant you came to
visit.  If the coupon or validation wasn’t offered by the tenant, you can
make your payment using your credit card or cash.  We accept all major credit
cards except for Discover
•       You will be exiting on Flower.  The valet attendants will help you
with any directions
•       If you have any further questions about the garage, please call the
Parking office at 213-628-0581

Directions

From LAX: Take the I-105 freeway east to the I-110 North. Go past the I-10
interchange and exit at 3rd Street (Flower Street direction). Stay in the
right lane. Turn right at Flower Street. Garage entrance will be on your
right hand side, once you pass 5th street light (first entrance you see will
be the A-level garage).

From Pasadena: Take the I-110 freeway South to 3rd Street off ramp. Turn left
on Beaudry. Turn left on 4th Street across freeway, and then make a right
turn on Flower street.  Garage entrance will be on your right hand side, once
you pass the 5th street light (first entrance you see will be the A-level
garage).