[LA.pm] Samy speaking at OWASP LA, Dec 10

Elizabeth zrusilla at mac.com
Mon Dec 8 11:38:32 PST 2008

Samy of Fonality will be entertaining at OWASP on Wednesday.

See https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Los_Angeles for info.

Our last OWASP meeting for this year is December 10th 7:30PM (note will
be stating a bit later). As always, meeting and parking are free - _all
I need is an email from you ahead of time to make the badges and notify
security_. The description for the main presentation follows. I think
this preso is going to be very informative and entertaining.

<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Orange_County>
**
Looking forward to seeing you all!
Cassio
**

*The MySpace Worm*

The most virulent worm in the history of the series of tubes known as
the Internet. One of the most highly accessed websites ever [see
comScore]. One of the most ostentatious hackers alive. Over one million
victims. Less than 24 hours. Fueled only by Chipotle burritos. The
MySpace Worm.

I will be recapping the story of the development, release and eventual
future of the MySpace worm. The 24 hours that led up to over one million
friends. The eventual downfall of the MySpace site for several hours.
The non-malicious intent and humorous progression of the worm. The
t-shirts. The copycats. The behind-the-scenes story of the Secret
Service raid at Samy's home and office. The demise of Samy's legal use
of computers, community service, restitution, high-risk offender
probation, and rehabilitation. And where Samy is today.

*Samy Kamkar*, software engineer and self-proclaimed playboy, is a
meddler in the security and software realms. He is currently the
Director of Engineering and co-founder of Fonality, Inc., an IP PBX
startup located in Culver City. Previously, Samy led the development of
all core top-level domain name server software and systems for Global
Domains International (.ws). Prior to that, Samy worked with Penn State
University developing psychometric personality assessment software with
attention to artificial intelligence and bioinformatics. When not
strapped behind the Matrix, Samy can be found performing parkour (free
running), practicing urban escape artist maneuvers, or is found getting
involved in local community service projects. In the past 10 years, Samy
has focused on evolutionary and genetic algorithmic software
development, Voice over IP software development, automated security and
vulnerability research in the areas of network security, reverse
engineering, and network gaming, and continues his focus in staying out
of jail