[LA.pm] Tech Meeting @Oversee.net - Thursday 17th of April at 7:00pm

Juan Jose Natera naterajj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 22:14:13 PDT 2008

What:

Module Versioning with Apache 1 and mod_perl 1 by Theron Stanford

Where:

Oversee.net
515 S. Flower Street, Suite 4400
Los Angeles, CA 90071

When:

Thursday the 17th of April 2008 at 7:00PM

About the speaker:

Theron Stanford has been an employee at Oversee.net since June 2007.
He has been using Perl since the summer of 1999, when he wrote his
first server-side application, a suite of online Chinese exercises for
the University of California, Berkeley.  Though not even close to
being a guru, he has does have enough experience with Perl internals
to write modules using C and XS, first to create a Chinese
pronunciation tutorial in Perl/Tk, and later to substantially decrease
execution time of the Analogical Modeling algorithm.  Prior to joining
Oversee, Theron taught mathematics and Chinese for many years, at all
levels from elementary school to college.

About the presentation:

Module Versioning with Apache 1 and mod_perl 1

At times, one wants to use different versions of a module in different
VirtualHost or Location sections, perhaps a production version and a
developer version.  This is not easily accomplished using Apache 1 and
mod_perl 1.0, since there is only one Perl interpreter available.  The
module Apache::PerlVINC is one solution, but because it plays with
@INC and reloads modules for each request, server response time is
slow.  This talk will provide another solution.  Even if you don't do
web programming, you may learn some interesting secrets about Perl.

About Oversee.net:

Founded in 2000, Oversee.net is a technology-driven online marketing
solutions company, with two primary divisions - Oversee Domain Services
and Oversee Marketing Services. Headquartered in Los Angeles with
offices in Portland, Oregon, San Mateo, California, and Pompano Beach,
Florida, the company has over 200 employees. Some of Oversee's key
brands include SnapNames(r), DomainSponsor(tm), Moniker(r) and
Low.com(tm). Oversee has been growing profitably since inception.

Oversee was named to the Inc. 500 and ranked third in the Deloitte
Technology Fast 50 of Los Angeles and 18th in the nation. Oversee was
also named "Internet and New Media Company of the Year by the Technology
Council of Southern California and its CEO and Co-Founder, Lawrence Ng,
was named a winner of the 2007 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year
award for the Greater Los Angeles program in the technology category. To
learn more, please visit http://www.oversee.net.

Parking Instructions:

Attendees please park in the A-Level garage and Oversee.net will provide a
parking validation for this event.

A-Level Garage
•       The garage is located at 515 S. Flower Street
•       There are two entrances to the garage on Flower & 5th Street
•       Once you get to the entrance of the garage, please take a ticket and
proceed to the valet service area
•       The garage is only valet, so you will leave your keys with the
attendant, who in turn will give you a claim check
•       You will then proceed to the South Tower or North Tower  and go up the
elevator and check in with Security
•       At the time of exit, you will come down to the A-level and present
your claim check to the valet attendant
•       You will be asked if you will be paying for your ticket or if you have
a validation.
•       The validation or coupon is offered by the tenant you came to
visit.  If the coupon or validation wasn't offered by the tenant, you can
make your payment using your credit card or cash.  We accept all major credit
cards except for Discover
•       You will be exiting on Flower.  The valet attendants will help you
with any directions
•       If you have any further questions about the garage, please call the
Parking office at 213-628-0581

Directions:

>From LAX: Take the I-105 freeway east to the I-110 North. Go past the I-10
interchange and exit at 3rd Street (Flower Street direction). Stay in the
right lane. Turn right at Flower Street. Garage entrance will be on your
right hand side, once you pass 5th street light (first entrance you see will
be the A-level garage).

>From Pasadena: Take the I-110 freeway South to 3rd Street off ramp. Turn left
on Beaudry. Turn left on 4th Street across freeway, and then make a right
turn on Flower street.  Garage entrance will be on your right hand side, once
you pass the 5th street light (first entrance you see will be the A-level
garage).

The LA.pm Team
Alyson Lago, Pablo Velasquez, Juan Natera