[LA.pm] Tech. Meeting Nov 8th @ Rent.com

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Mon Oct 29 12:28:04 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:48:42AM -0700, Ben Tilly wrote:

> [...]

> I think I'd prefer something I can develop in a text format.

In that case, I can make one (negative) recommendation: do not use
MJD's homebrew text-to-HTML slide program.  While the design seems
appealingly simple, I found one spends tons of time futzing with
whitespace and other formatting, then regenerating the HTML, then
repeating the cycle...  In other words, it's just the kind of thing
you want to avoid.

BTW, I don't mean to disparage MJD at all.  He's a great contributor
to the Perl community, I love his writing, and I use his modules.
He himself gives all sorts of warnings about how his slide system is
a nasty kludge and how he released it only under pressure and with
misgivings. :)

So that's my advice.  I'm sorry I don't have any positive suggestions,
but I don't want to recommend something I haven't used.  Good luck,
and thanks for going to the trouble of making postable slides!

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/